Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:22 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Is a stock a firearm? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Soo we have the bump stock ban fast approaching. It's been alleged by the ATF that a firearm fitted with a "bump stock" is a "machine gun".

But, the ask is to turn in the bump stocks, but not the gun itself. This seems very odd to me. I'm familiar with the term "constructive intent", but if someone owned a bump stock, but not a firearm suitable for that, how is that constructive intent? What if you modified the bump stock such that it no longer slid (could put a rubber stopper in the buffer)?

What has actually been made illegal with the ATF ruling? Can accessories even be banned by the ATF?

Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PinSniper wrote:
Soo we have the bump stock ban fast approaching. It's been alleged by the ATF that a firearm fitted with a "bump stock" is a "machine gun".

But, the ask is to turn in the bump stocks, but not the gun itself. This seems very odd to me. I'm familiar with the term "constructive intent", but if someone owned a bump stock, but not a firearm suitable for that, how is that constructive intent? What if you modified the bump stock such that it no longer slid (could put a rubber stopper in the buffer)?

What has actually been made illegal with the ATF ruling? Can accessories even be banned by the ATF?

It's an interesting question, and while unconstitutional the answer is yes.

By way of analogy, if you owned only a short barrel to a shotgun, or the short barrel to a rifle, but nothing legal to put it on, I'd venture you're in dangerous territory legally. If you owned a fully auto sear, and no legal reason to, you'd probably be in dangerous territory. These aren't serialized items necessarily...

Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Those aren't very good analogies the way you presented them

A short barrel could be used in a pistol, or whatever the shockwave is. If you have a complete AR15 lower with a stock that has no upper to mate with and also have a short barrel you could be afoul of the law. The barrel, in and of itself, isn't a problem though

The sear IS considered a MG in and of itself, and has been ruled that before. It has no other use than to turn a semi auto into full auto

The bump fire stock also will not have a legal use. It's only purpose is to turn an AR15 into a rapid fire baby killing machine even though it's not a thing that goes up

Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:02 pm

The government can ban anything that they do not like. It's a only a matter of time before guns are completely banned and confiscated.

"Prohibition... goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man’s appetite by legislation and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes... A prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded."

Abraham Lincoln 8 Dec 1840

Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Brokenvet wrote:
The government can ban anything that they do not like. It's a only a matter of time before guns are completely banned and confiscated.

I think you mean "And are attempted to be confiscated" :thumbsup2:

-- Travis A Kisner

Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

99% of all AR15 owners here own a full auto BCG. :wagwoot:

Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If I install a bump stock on a muzzle loader, is it still a bump stock

Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ATF is on shaky ground here...anyone whose first language is English can read the definition of "machine gun" and understand that a bump stock is not one, but ATF says that it is. Their own statement on the change in interpretation is contradictory. As soon as the ban takes effect, it'll be challenged in court, and I predict the ATF will get their peepee slapped. Not only can they not change the definition without an act of Congress, but they also can't force people to give up private property without due process or compensation. At the end of this, they will be embarrassed for this stupid, politically-motivated stunt.

Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RocketScott wrote:
The bump fire stock also will not have a legal use. It's only purpose is to turn an AR15 into a rapid fire baby killing machine even though it's not a thing that goes up

I could use a bump fire stock as a stock. Or I could use it as a bookshelf end piece.

Are they saying a bump stock IS a machine gun in the same way a drop in auto sear is a machine gun?

But surely confiscation is not necessary, a simple modification to a bump stock would turn it ONLY into a stock. And modification does change the nature of the device regardless of the original manufacturers intent. Eg. physically modifying a pistol brace to be more comfortable to shoulder fire may alter it into a stock.

Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just think of all the anti gunners walking around unknowingly carrying full auto belt loops on their jeans. :wink05:

Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:21 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So is anyone going to make a bunch out of wood for the buyback?

Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guns4Liberty wrote:
ATF is on shaky ground here...anyone whose first language is English can read the definition of "machine gun" and understand that a bump stock is not one, but ATF says that it is. Their own statement on the change in interpretation is contradictory. As soon as the ban takes effect, it'll be challenged in court, and I predict the ATF will get their peepee slapped. Not only can they not change the definition without an act of Congress, but they also can't force people to give up private property without due process or compensation. At the end of this, they will be embarrassed for this stupid, politically-motivated stunt.

they also said once that a shoe string is a machine gun....just saying

Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

See my blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/

Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:46 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PinSniper wrote:

I could use a bump fire stock as a stock. Or I could use it as a bookshelf end piece.

Are they saying a bump stock IS a machine gun in the same way a drop in auto sear is a machine gun?

But surely confiscation is not necessary, a simple modification to a bump stock would turn it ONLY into a stock. And modification does change the nature of the device regardless of the original manufacturers intent. Eg. physically modifying a pistol brace to be more comfortable to shoulder fire may alter it into a stock.

I actually don’t know exactly what they are saying, haven’t read through the determination

ATF rules don’t make sense sometimes and on this one they made a ruling and then reversed it completely so it’s more than a bit perplexing

Arguing that you have a bump stock or DIAS for a bookend would be pretty foolish. Nice try but that is a reach. If you have no firearms that will work with said bookend you might have a case

Modifying a bump stock might work but it can’t be ‘easily’ converted back. Think about pinning and welding a muzzle device onto a short barrel to get to 16”. Simply threading on an extension won’t work. It has to be ~permanent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guns4Liberty wrote:

While I agree with your point of what "should" be, I think the reality is a bit darker.

Case in point - The ATF defines a suppressor as a firearm. We all know it's not a firearm, any more than an automotive muffler is a car, but the ATF arbitrarily defined suppressors that way specifically so they could have jurisdiction over them, and has gotten away with it for many years. I think they can absolutely get away with doing the same thing to bumpstocks or anything else if they want to, and there won't be a thing we can do about legally.

ATF rulings often don't make sense, and apparently don't have to in the eyes of the government, but their rulings are upheld as law by people with guns. I don't like it any more than you do.

Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yondering wrote:
Guns4Liberty wrote:

While I agree with your point of what "should" be, I think the reality is a bit darker.

Case in point - The ATF defines a suppressor as a firearm. We all know it's not a firearm, any more than an automotive muffler is a car, but the ATF arbitrarily defined suppressors that way specifically so they could have jurisdiction over them, and has gotten away with it for many years. I think they can absolutely get away with doing the same thing to bumpstocks or anything else if they want to, and there won't be a thing we can do about legally.

Actually, it was Congress that defined a silencer as a firearm, because it was Congress that wrote and passed the NFA (and the GCA). ATF simply enforces the laws as written, and issues opinions/interpretations when something isn't expressly clear. In the case of bump stocks, they absolutely do not meet Congress' definition of 'machine gun' as written - this is plain as day to anyone who understands how a bump stock works. I contend that ATF knows this reclassification of bump stocks as machine guns is a complete stretch, but if/when it is struck down they can say "well, we tried". I mean, look at ATF's statement - it contradicts itself:

Quote:
This rule is intended to clarify that the statutory definition of machinegun includes certain devices (i.e., bump-stock-type devices) that, when affixed to a firearm, allow that firearm to fire automatically with a single function of the trigger, such that they are subject to regulation under the National Firearms Act (NFA) and the Gun Control Act (GCA). The rule will amend 27 CFR 447.11, 478.11, and 479.11 to clarify that bump-stock-type devices are machineguns as defined by the NFA and GCA because such devices allow a shooter of a semiautomatic firearm to initiate a continuous firing cycle with a single pull of the trigger. Specifically, these devices convert an otherwise semiautomatic firearm into a machinegun by functioning as a self-acting or self-regulating mechanism that harnesses the recoil energy of the semiautomatic firearm in a manner that allows the trigger to reset and continue firing without additional physical manipulation of the trigger by the shooter.

So, it's a single pull, but the trigger is reset? It can't be both.

Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:21 am
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next