Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:03 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Sultan Basin road shootin location off limits???? 

Wanted to know if sultan basin road shooting Pits/locations are still around. Reason I'm asking is because my coworker was approached 3/3/19 by a Snohomish county sheriff. He said no one is aloud to shoot along sultan basin road, that this has been around for a while. But I have spent hours at several locations locations along sultan basin road and never had this issue before. IF anyone knows more info on if Sultan basin road is still available to shoot at please lmk :)

Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

AmmoEl wrote:
Wanted to know if sultan basin road shooting Pits/locations are still around. Reason I'm asking is because my coworker was approached 3/3/19 by a Snohomish county sheriff. He said no one is aloud to shoot along sultan basin road, that this has been around for a while. But I have spent hours at several locations locations along sultan basin road and never had this issue before. IF anyone knows more info on if Sultan basin road is still available to shoot at please lmk :)

There is one deputy that has for years been making the rounds up there every once in a while and telling people it's off limits.

He KNOWS he is wrong. Has been told so, by his superiors. Does it anyway. Never gets a reprimand. (Except verbal.) What you going to do?

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:35 pm

What do you suggest I do if they tell me I cannot shoot at the location. Becuase I plan on goin out there this weekend

Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:17 pm

Selador wrote:
AmmoEl wrote:

There is one deputy that has for years been making the rounds up there every once in a while and telling people it's off limits.

He KNOWS he is wrong. Has been told so, by his superiors. Does it anyway. Never gets a reprimand. (Except verbal.) What you going to do?

What do u suggest I do that would happen to me this weekend when I go out to shoot?

Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:18 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

AmmoEl wrote:
What do you suggest I do if they tell me I cannot shoot at the location. Becuase I plan on goin out there this weekend

If he tells you you can't shoot there, don't shoot there.

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:30 pm

Selador wrote:
AmmoEl wrote:

If he tells you you can't shoot there, don't shoot there.

Lol fair enough! Guess I'll have to find some new shooting locations :)

Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As long as you have no other issues,
Keep shooting!
Have him write you a ticket and make him look stupid in court.

Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Jeffro wrote:
As long as you have no other issues,
Keep shooting!
Have him write you a ticket and make him look stupid in court.

And when he gets shot, doing that?

Any cop that is off his rocker enough to be warning people not to shoot in an area that he knows is open to shooting, is off his rocker enough to shoot anyone who doesn't "respect his authoritay!" This cop IS the south park type... Never met him myself. But I have talked to three people now who are afraid to go up there and shoot. All describe the same guy. Same conversation. None of the three know each other. So I'm pretty confident of this without actually meeting him, myself.

If you really want to shoot there, and there is a chance he will come again, I would suggest that you get it in writing from the proper authority, that that area is open to shooting.

Then I would further suggest that you have at least half a dozen armed people there, with you, if he does show up.

Not to draw on him. But to keep him from drawing on you.

Do justice. Love mercy.

Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:15 pm

AmmoEl wrote:

Things to take with you when shooting on public land:

1. A printed screen from the parcel viewer showing public ownership of the land. Up there it's all DNR I think. Maybe some WDFW. Don't think there's any FS land that far south/west.
2. If there are structures nearby, a printed screen from Google Maps with a distance line showing greater than 500ft to the nearest structure. Or a printed map showing that there are no structures nearby.
3. A printed map of DNR (or FS, or whatever) prohibited shooting areas.
4. A printed list of current restricted DNR (or FS, or whatever) areas/activities. Burn bans generally apply to target shooting too.
5. If the county publishes one (and I think Snohomish does), a printed map/list of prohibited shooting areas.
6. A print out of DNR's (or whatever agency owns the land) policy on target shooting.
7. Your Discover Pass, assuming your vehicle is parked on DNR land.

Arguing with a bad cop is generally not a good idea, especially when you have obvious access to firearms, but if he refuses to acknowledge legality after being shown the above paperwork, call the CLEO's office in his presence and put it on speaker phone. Assuming you have service. If not, drive to where you do and ask the CLEO's office to call you and leave a voice mail explaining legality, then go back and keep shooting.

It's also not a bad idea to invest in a body cam, but beware audio recording consent laws.

Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]