Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:12 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Rechambering a Japanese Type 99 Rifle? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Finally got enough decent weather to coincide with my days off to take it out and do some shooting. Seems to be about as accurate as it was before. It's not as dead on, but I'm still in the black at 40 yards. Good enough for plinking.

I used a slice of an AK magazine, and I modified it and the follower to fit the magazine box. Took a lot of sanding and filing, but it's totally reversible and I can take it back to it's WWII rounds in a few minutes. The hardest part is making the rounds go straight into the chamber. They tend to want to drift a bit and slam into the chamber walls. I tried cutting out a feed ramp to help guide them, but in order to make the stripper clip work, I have to deal with the distance from feed ramps to chamber being a tad long. I could probably fix this, but I'm not feeling very ambitious at the moment. Also, I'm still fighting getting it to take 5 rounds and allowing the bolt to close empty. Before I could push down on the 5th round and slide the bolt closed, but now it's too tight to do so without chambering a round. I'll have to relook at that down the road, but it's a small problem considering the rifle does have a safety. Besides, I'll only be loading ti to shoot it promptly after having done so.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"A nation grown free in a single day is a child born with the limbs and the vigour of a man, who would take a drawn sword for his rattle, and set the house in a blaze that he might chuckle over the splendour." Sydney Smith (1771-1845)
Spoiler: show
NOW YOU DID IT...
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I ended up cutting down the spring to make it work. I think I would have better luck with a flat spring like the original had, but I'm pretty lazy...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"A nation grown free in a single day is a child born with the limbs and the vigour of a man, who would take a drawn sword for his rattle, and set the house in a blaze that he might chuckle over the splendour." Sydney Smith (1771-1845)
NOW YOU DID IT...

Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As for the chamber adapter, I think there is a flaw, but it could be the result of me slathering it unevenly with the loc-tite. Each casing comes out with two bulbous stretch marks. Seems ok for now, but it made extracting almost impossible. I had to hammer the bolt with a knife hand to extract it. After the 50th round it seemed to be less tight a fit and I could work the bolt with one hand. My hope it that it evens out over time. If it was in one spot it would hardly be noticeable, but being in two spots creates a dip in between both bulges that works essentially as a lock's tumblers. Not much I can do about it now though.

NOW YOU DID IT...

Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:50 pm

Sorry to revive a dead post, but I'm interested in doing a similar project. Some questions:

1. How did it turn out? Still going strong?
2. What did you do about the extractor?
3. What did you use as the mag box gap plug? that looks almost like plywood! is it?!?
4. When you say sliced AK mag? what does that mean? would a single or double stack fit better?

Last edited by NikolaiKozlov on Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:28 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Messing with a Mumed Type 99 that is complete, Is Like spray painting a Delorean .

NRA Life Member-Since 1983
Life Member-North American Hunting Club
Life Member-National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association
Founder-Crusaders Motorcycle Ministries

Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:03 am

Mohawk13 wrote:
Messing with a Mumed Type 99 that is complete, Is Like spray painting a Delorean .

Mine isn't mum'd , It's been sporterized so don't get on me about defacing history. Honestly, even with the mum it's still a $200 dollar rifle. It will likely stay that way since ammo is so scarce. There's probably more resale value and buyer interest in a functioning 7.62x39 bolt action. Just saying.

Savage makes one for $600, Ruger makes one for $700. I'm going to make my own for less than $200!

Last edited by NikolaiKozlov on Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:56 am

Plus he already said that what he did to his was 100% reversible. that's amazing really!

Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:56 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yup. Everything is 100% removable. I might need to clean off the loctite inside the chamber, but that's not a big deal. All the parts just pop right out.
I used a ceder block for the gap. Because of the lack of any feed ramp, sometimes the rounds get a little off and don't feed right in. I don't mind since it's for fun more than anything. Not like I shoot it ever month. Being that Japanese WWII history is kind of one of my college pursuits, I like to keep it as original as possible. The reality is that paying to shoot this thing with original caliber ammo is just unrealistic. This was a fun project that will pay off loads by simply making shooting it a budget friendly activity.

NOW YOU DID IT...

Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got off track.

I used a metal AK mag I had and just cut it down to the depth of the mag well. I then dremeled the edges and such off to make it fit smoother. I coudl have just used any thin plyable metal, but I thought starting with something I know works for the 7.62x39 was better.Learn as you go though, right?

I did buy a spare extractor to modify as needed. That way the original matching numbered one wouldn't be messed up and could be reused in a 100% restore event. I was lucky that the replacement one was actually a tighter fit and grips the 7.62 great. I thought I'd need to do more work, but this turned out perfect.

Aside from the bulges in the spent casings, I feel it worked out fine. Put about 100 rounds or more though it just fine. The issue I still need to solve is getting the rounds to feed perfect every time and cutting the spring to allow all 5 rounds to fit in the mag box. I'm just too busy to worry about it for now. It works well enough at the moment to be fun and done.

NOW YOU DID IT...

Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:07 pm

Only a 100 rounds this whole time? I'd shoot a 100 rounds in one trip to the range. That's only $20 bucks worth of 7.62x39. Plus, McAce boasts that their adapters last thousands of rounds, indefinitely with proper care. I'm definitely making mine into a shooter.

I'm stressing the magazine since it's the most crucial part to get this thing to work. I was looking at this Romanian 7rd single stack nylon magazine. I figured the nylon would be easier to sand and shape. I could even heat it up and try molding it if I wanted. I'm thinking to go permanent since mine is already sporterized. What do you think?

About your feed problem, I don't know anything but....

I see on yours that you put the ceder block between the magazine and the chamber. Is there any reason you couldn't fit the block between the bolt and the magazine? and have the magazine closer to the chamber. I feel like the bolt would still catch the bullet in the magazine without any issue.

I ask because if you were to do that, I think you could angle the magazine to feed with the bullet tipping up slightly and that would help guide them into the chamber. From your photos it looks like the bolt is carrying the rounds quite a ways to the chamber. no surprise its drifting into the walls. Of course, in my head it looks so perfect.

Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't like packing every gun I have in the car when I go shooting. I usually just take the ones I want to be proficient with.

I had the metal one, and I knew that the follower and spring were already shaped to fit the magazine, so it made sense to just use what I had that was already designed for it. Polymer would work just fine, but changes the feel of it. The metal and wood that I used make have a slight battlefield conversion look. Remember that you can't change it too much or it will no longer work properly for the 7.62.

I first had the magazine box up close to the chamber with the block behind it, but then I realized I couldn't use the stripper clips that way. So, I bumped it back to allow the stripper clips to feed it smoothly, but ran into the problem of things not lining up 100% about 25% of the time.

Somewhere, I heard a guy took a sporterized one and fit it to take full AK mags out the mag well.I think it can be done, but it's a big mod.

NOW YOU DID IT...

Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:05 am

So you didn't have the feed problems when the magazine was up close? I never use stripper clips anyways, except for fun sometimes with my mosin.

Honestly, I think I can do it perfectly with the polymer magazine. Here's my idea, since it's a single stack magazine there should be plenty of room in the walls of the magwell. I'll fix the magazine exactly where i want it in the magwell, make it level and everything, then seal the bottom of the magwell around the magazine, and fill empty space with some strong loctite nylon epoxy. Sand it smooth and I'll have a perfect fixed magazine. Even if something went terrible wrong, or it didn't feed right after all that, I could break out my plastic soldering tool and have the loctite out without hurting the gun at all. Good Idea no?

Last question for awhile, did you get the Stainless Steel insert from McAce or just the Blued Steel? I don't know why it would matter but if you got the Blued Steel, I might just throw down the extra 8 bucks for stainless and hope I don't get those bulbous spots on the casings.

I'll post pics later on.

Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:31 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I ordered, I just asked for the adapter. They didn't say I had a choice. So it's just blued steel. I wouldn't do anything permanent. Double stack lets you have more rounds, and it fits in the magwell fine. When it was up close, I seemed to have no trouble feeding it. Again though, I can cycle and shoot all 5 rounds pretty much just fine 75% of the time. However, once in a while one will hit the wall of the chamber and need a little attention. Not really a big deal.

NOW YOU DID IT...

Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:57 pm

Well, I put the adapter in. I'm going to leave the magazine alone until I'm less busy and can do it right. However, that didn't stop me from taking it out and single loading it a bunch of times. I put a bunch of different ammo through it to get a feel for it. And I found something that I'll pass along.......this thing drives tacks with 154gr Tula Spire-Points. I got some pretty 3 inch groups at 50 yards. I guess since it was designed for the 170 grain japanese bullet it should make sense it likes the heavier stuff.

Downside is it's about 5 cents more per round.... still only .25/round, but 5 cents adds up.

Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:25 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Pics or it didn't happen lol

Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:27 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next