Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:59 pm

Rules Brads Guns Rainier Arms I5 Guns & Ammo Killer Innovations Fessleman Firearms
WGO Chat Room Rehv Arms Vantage Reloading
Gear Fortis WCA 2A Ind. Pintos WAC
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Polymer80 "Glock" Builds 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Looks good, Greg! How's it shoot? Any issues?

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:03 pm

i have only put about 50rd down the pipe so far, it has gone bang ever time. no problem yet.

Greg

Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:09 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, even with the startup issues I had with the first one, it was so much fun that I've been racking my brain to try to "justify" a second build. Sadly, I couldn't quite get there. :frust:

Then I went to the range a couple of weekends ago, and took my Tactical Solutions .22 slide out to play. This fits on a full-size Glock frame, so I took my Glock 22, removed the slide and put the TacSol slide on it. Then went to the range, blah blah blah.

As I was putting it away that night, the light bulb came on . . . I need a dedicated frame for this TacSol slide! :thumbsup2:

So I ordered a full-size Polymer80 frame from Brownells, again with the Brownells aggressive texture and in color Coyote. It arrived today, so I went right to work.

Instead of messing around with the mill bit and the drill press this time, I just put the P80 in the vise and went to work with the Dremel. It was just easier and much faster, and in the end I did a better job than I did on the last one. (Granted, I've had a little practice now.) I used the Dremel to take 90% of the material off, then switched to a flat file, and then finally I removed the frame from the jig and finished the job with some fine sandpaper and oil.

Here's the final result:

(And yes, the mag is supposed to stick out like that.)

So that's the good news....

The bad news is that the metal frame pieces don't seem to be quite aligned. It's a real bitch to get the G22 slide to fit on there, and while it WILL move back and forth once installed, I have to actually PUSH it in both directions. It will never function in the condition it's in. With the TacSol .22 slide, it fits much better and it MIGHT even function as-is, I don't know.

This one's going to take some perseverence to get it running. icon_eek

Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice! That'll be a sweet .22 plinker if you get it to run reliably, and seems like a great use for one of these frames.

Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:19 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And... Why did I get a P80?

Damn - money hole
Granted I get the parts I want to customize it the way I want it but boy it sucks up money.

Some items I didn’t know I needed until I needed it. lol

It is cool to “make” your own. Get the nitty gritty from start to finish. Plus it’s legally unregistered!

Granted I haven’t even started grinding yet but I’m already thinking of getting a spare for a spare... lol

Damn you MadPick!

Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:12 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This thread has saved me a ton of money...enough to go out and buy myself a new G19. Thanks guys!

Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:09 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Guns4Liberty wrote:
This thread has saved me a ton of money...enough to go out and buy myself a new G19. Thanks guys!

That's pretty funny. :bigsmile:

I'm really enjoying the process, but yeah from a practical standpoint it's hard to beat a real Glock.

Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:54 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am like a few are actually going from having an OEM off the shelf Glock and even I’m sure customized Glocks to building a P80%

I have to say it’s unique and I will cherish the hell out of it once I am finished. (Just saying because I haven’t finished it yet).

I will be the proud owner of my P80 with all the kinks and BS that comes from making it and especially knowing how much time, effort and money to make the damn thing.

Plus I get to blame all this on MadPick forever... lol

That alone is priceless.
Well, hell I’m neck deep in it so might as well... did I mention I haven’t even started my build. I’m picking up another P80 (next month). Lol

Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:18 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

MadPick wrote:
The bad news is that the metal frame pieces don't seem to be quite aligned. It's a real bitch to get the G22 slide to fit on there, and while it WILL move back and forth once installed, I have to actually PUSH it in both directions. It will never function in the condition it's in. With the TacSol .22 slide, it fits much better and it MIGHT even function as-is, I don't know.

This one's going to take some perseverence to get it running. icon_eek

Well, I'm on vacation this week so I'm getting a lot more time to play with guns. :bigsmile:

As you recall, the rails on my latest Polymer80 didn't seem to be aligned, and if I forced the G22 slide on there, it took some serious muscle to move the slide back and forth. So I watched this video with one person's suggestion on how to fix it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWtM5tiAydQ.

I went with it. I wasn't able to quickly get flat diamond plates like that, but I bought this diamond hone block from Harbor Freight . . . which is close. :bigsmile:

I removed the trigger assembly, so nothing was sticking up higher than the rails. Then I flipped the gun upside down and went to work, back and forth, on the 200-grit:

You can see the shiny areas on the forward locking block where metal is being removed; metal is also being removed from the rear rails, but you can't see that because they are already silver in color:

I worked it for a while, then tried the slide again . . . and it was better! I worked it some more, tried it again, and kept at it until the slide was working smoothly. Then I went progressively from one grit to the next until I was on the 600, and the top was nice and smooth.

Good to go, right?! Both slides were sliding (haha) like a dream. But sadly, the story does not end there . . . because now, the gun wouldn't fire. If I pulled the trigger, it wouldn't release the striker unless I pulled upward on the slide at the same time. With the .22 slide, the trigger wouldn't reset either. :frust: And, to add insult to injury, when I installed the slides, pulling them on from the front, the barrel would hit the slide lock lever and I had to push the lever down to let the barrel get past it.

Bottom line, it felt like the slide was sitting too low on the gun.

There's a spot where the trigger bar rubs against the rear rail assembly, which prevents the trigger from coming back as far as it could. I removed material from that rear rail assembly, and then a little polymer from the frame too, and that helped but still didn't solve the trigger break problem.

I finally threw in the towel and called Polymer80 customer service. Yes, it was that bad. icon_eek

I called, pushed 4 for support, and after one ring they picked up. "Thank you for calling Polymer80, this is Allison, how may I help you?" I explained the situation, briefly. She said, "why don't you take three photos of the frame for me, one from the left, one from the right, and one from the top, and email them. Then call back a little while later, and we'll go through it."

I'll admit it . . . I assumed that Allison was going to take my email to the guy back in the shop and get his input, and then relay it back to me.

So I did exactly that. I took these three photos:

And I emailed them to Polymer80 support. And then I waited a while, to give Allison some time to talk to the shop dude.

While I was waiting, I got a crazy idea. The trigger I have in there is actually a Lone Wolf trigger, part of the Lone Wolf lower parts kit. I decided to swap the Lone Wolf trigger assembly with the Glock trigger assembly from my Glock 22. So I popped the Glock trigger into the Polymer80 and voila! It worked like a champ! Praying for good luck, I then put the Lone Wolf trigger into the Glock 22 . . . and it worked too! Success. thumbsup

Then I called Polymer80 back, to see what Allison had to say. "Thank you for calling Polymer80, this is Nikki, how may I help you?" Fuuuuck, I'm gonna have to start all over again.... I told her that I had sent an email, and she read it quickly while I was on the phone and she looked at the pics. "Okay, the rails look okay. Oooh, that's a Gen 4 ejector on there, you need to use a Gen 3 ejector. See the little twisted part at the end? That means it's Gen 4. If you use that ejector, it could break the such-and-such part. Oh, your trigger spring looks like it's in backwards; which way is it going?" DAMN. My sexist assumptions turned out to be bullshit, she walked through that gun and was calling me out on this stuff....

Anyhow, to make a long story longer, I swapped out the ejector for the .40-cal ejector (I was using the 9mm). I don't care which is in there, since I'm using this for a .22 conversion anyhow. However, I need to do some more research on that, to see if she's right or maybe if the Lone Wolf ejectors are different.

I left the Glock spring in there, since it appeared to be working . . . and headed to the range with both the Polymer80 and the Glock 22. I shot both of them, with both the .22 and the .40 slides, and everything worked like a charm. I mean, the Tac Sol .22 still had occasional fun failures like this one:

But I think that's just because the magazine is a piece of shit, and isn't the fault of the Polymer80 frame. Heck, the .22 slide ran better than it ever did in the past.

So here's what I learned:

- I think the gun is good to go, except I want to look into the ejector more.
- That diamond hone block worked really well.
- The Lone Wolf trigger . . . well, I have my suspicions about that. I have a friend who also used an LW trigger in his Polymer80, and he had trigger reset issues. I wonder if they didn't copy the Glock design correctly. :bigsmile: If I build another, I won't use a Lone Wolf trigger.

Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5