Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:59 pm


Rules Brads Guns Rainier Arms I5 Guns & Ammo Killer Innovations Fessleman Firearms
WGO Chat Room Rehv Arms Vantage Reloading
Gear Fortis WCA 2A Ind. Pintos WAC
Calendar





This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 My new lightweight build!! 
Author Message
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Lacey
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012
Posts: 680
Real Name: Deke
Yondering wrote:
Acpguy wrote:

Second, you are absolutely wrong about the length of a gas tube having “absolutely nothing” to do with dwell time. Shorter or longer gas tubes increase or decrease the distance between the gas port and muzzle, absolutely affecting the dwell time ....but you knew that;)


See the bit about the pigtail gas tube. The only way to change dwell time is to change the distance between gas port and muzzle. Are you saying the Dracos barrel does that?


Are you actually listening to yourself...... because changing the length of your gas tube does in fact require your gas port be repositioned as well,which changes the distance from port to muzzle changing the dwell time.... you do get that rite?


Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:57 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: NW Wa state
Joined: Tue Apr 7, 2015
Posts: 336
A pig tail gas tube is a longer gas tube, but doesn't change the port position. It does not affect dwell time.

Are you going to answer the question about the Dracos barrel or are you intentionally missing the point? Does it have multiple ports in the barrel or something? Or does it adjust the gas tube back and forth, changing it's position relative to the gas key on the bolt carrier? That's a very different thing.


Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:14 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Snohomish, WA
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012
Posts: 906
Real Name: Bo
Based on my understanding of the Teludyne StraightJacket patent is the gas hole is a fixed position. The adjustment screw only lengths/shortens the gas tube volume.

With all the research I've done to state and re-state the front adjustment screw not doing a damn thing. At least now I know what is in the secret sauce...

Quote:
The barrel of claim 9 wherein said filler material includes material taken from the group consisting of: hydraulic cement, at least 50% by weight of calcium sulfate, 48% of less by weight of portland cement, epoxy, resin, graphite and metal particles.


BTW - Reading several articles, three things effect dwell time: Gas port to Muzzle distance, Gas port hole size, and Gas tube length.

:beatdeadhorse5:

https://patents.google.com/patent/US879 ... ch+Ind+Inc

Image

_________________
"I don't know what it's called. I just know the sound it makes, when it takes a man's life." ~ Four Leaf Tayback


Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:16 am
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: NW Wa state
Joined: Tue Apr 7, 2015
Posts: 336
BlDtyLry wrote:

BTW - Reading several articles, three things effect dwell time: Gas port to Muzzle distance, Gas port hole size, and Gas tube length.


Port size and tube length do not affect dwell time. Lots of people writing articles don't seem to understand that.

Dwell time is the time from when the bullet passes the gas port to when it exits the muzzle, plus a small amount of time where pressure vents out the muzzle. None of those other factors do anything to change that time.


Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:12 am
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Snohomish, WA
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012
Posts: 906
Real Name: Bo
Sorry but I tried...peace out!

_________________
"I don't know what it's called. I just know the sound it makes, when it takes a man's life." ~ Four Leaf Tayback


Last edited by BlDtyLry on Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:04 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Lacey
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012
Posts: 680
Real Name: Deke
BlDtyLry wrote:
Sorry but a tried...peace out!


LmFao!! Yep


Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:52 pm
Profile
Site Moderator
User avatar
Site Moderator

Location: Duvall
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2011
Posts: 7498
Real Name: Jaime
I’m confused and now I have to go look dwell time.

_________________
Consider donating to:
WAGUNS
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Join the NRA


Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:22 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Lacey
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012
Posts: 680
Real Name: Deke
BadKarma wrote:
I’m confused and now I have to go look dwell time.


Ya he has that effect on people lol. It’s really not that hard. Dwell time is the amount of time the BCG is engaged by gasses. So from the port hole (where gas first reaches the gas tube to engage) to the end of the muzzle (where excess gas is then released out the barrel) is dwell time. Anything that affects this time.....GAS TUBE LENGTH(because it changes where the port hole is located changing that overall length) is one thing that affects dwell time.


Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:36 am
Profile
Site Moderator
User avatar
Site Moderator

Location: Duvall
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2011
Posts: 7498
Real Name: Jaime
Acpguy wrote:
BadKarma wrote:
I’m confused and now I have to go look dwell time.


Ya he has that effect on people lol. It’s really not that hard. Dwell time is the amount of time the BCG is engaged by gasses. So from the port hole (where gas first reaches the gas tube to engage) to the end of the muzzle (where excess gas is then released out the barrel) is dwell time. Anything that affects this time.....GAS TUBE LENGTH(because it changes where the port hole is located changing that overall length) is one thing that affects dwell time.

Wouldn't a variable gas block affect the amount of gas going back to the gas key too? So If I closed off the gas block "system" no matter how long the barrel is past the gas port, no gas would be going back to the gas key.

_________________
Consider donating to:
WAGUNS
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Join the NRA


Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:42 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin
User avatar
Site Admin

Location: Renton, WA
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011
Posts: 35306
Real Name: Steve
Acpguy wrote:
Ya he has that effect on people lol. It’s really not that hard. Dwell time is the amount of time the BCG is engaged by gasses. So from the port hole (where gas first reaches the gas tube to engage) to the end of the muzzle (where excess gas is then released out the barrel) is dwell time. Anything that affects this time.....GAS TUBE LENGTH(because it changes where the port hole is located changing that overall length) is one thing that affects dwell time.


Acpguy, I think it's a little too early for you to proclaim victory here . . . because I think Yondering was dead-nuts correct, and mostly all of the arguing here is because of confusing terms and mis-use of terms.

You said: "Dwell time is the amount of time the BCG is engaged by gasses. So from the port hole (where gas first reaches the gas tube to engage) to the end of the muzzle (where excess gas is then released out the barrel) is dwell time."

I think I agree with those statements, except that I'd replace "BCG" with "gas block." So yes, the dwell time is the time that it takes for the bullet to go from the gas block to the muzzle, and all that while it's blasting gas into the gas block.

Where it gets complicated is that you keep talking about the length of the gas tube. Sure, if you assume that you have a straight gas tube, then for a given barrel the length of the gas tube will affect the location of the gas port, and affect the dwell time . . . but that's all pretty irrelevant. When you throw in the pigtail gas tubes as mentioned earlier, then obviously you can change the length of the gas tube without changing the location of the gas port.

The bottom line is this: The dwell time is the time it takes for the bullet to travel from the gas port to the muzzle. Do we all agree on that?

_________________
Steve

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.


Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:53 am
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: NW Wa state
Joined: Tue Apr 7, 2015
Posts: 336
Thank you MadPick, you understood what I was saying.


Acpguy wrote:
Anything that affects this time.....GAS TUBE LENGTH(because it changes where the port hole is located changing that overall length) is one thing that affects dwell time.


We are specifically talking about this Dracos barrel, which apparently adjusts gas tube length but not the gas port location, if I understand correctly. Your argument about changing the port location with tube length is an attempt at misdirection away from the point of the discussion. We all know that changing port position affects dwell time. My initial comment was that changing gas tube length without changing the gas port has no affect on dwell time.


Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:46 pm
Profile
Site Moderator
User avatar
Site Moderator

Location: Duvall
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2011
Posts: 7498
Real Name: Jaime
Question: If blow back is the amount of gas released into the gas block, gas tube and eventually to the gas key, length of tube or restriction on a variable gas block would affect that function correct? Not change the dwell time?

_________________
Consider donating to:
WAGUNS
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Join the NRA


Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:07 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Lacey
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012
Posts: 680
Real Name: Deke
Yondering wrote:
Thank you MadPick, you understood what I was saying.


Acpguy wrote:
Anything that affects this time.....GAGA S TUBE LENGTH(because it changes where the port hole is located changing that overall length) is one thing that affects dwell time.


We are specifically talking about this Dracos barrel, which apparently adjusts gas tube length but not the gas port location, if I understand correctly. Your argument about changing the port location with tube length is an attempt at misdirection away from the point of the discussion. We all know that changing port position affects dwell time. My initial comment was that changing gas tube length without changing the gas port has no affect on dwell time.


Ok.....so this is the first time in any of your statements you have specified “changing gas tube length WITHOUT changing gas port location “ . All I’ve been tryin to drive home is that changing the length of your gas tube changes the location of the gas port this deff changing dwell time!

As for the DRACOS (awesome barrels by the way) I do not believe the adjustment screw actually changes the gas port location. But as stated it’s also my understanding that it’s not an adjustable gas block either. So..... idk yet. I was not the one saying it did or didn’t on those specific barrels. And as for the pigtail gas tubes other than my “lmao” comment , again , wasn’t my statement. I just kept saying that “gas tube length does in fact change dwell time simply because it requires the gas port be moved” that’s it. Yond kept screaming “gas tube length has nothing to do with it” . It clearly does.


Last edited by Acpguy on Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:18 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Lacey
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012
Posts: 680
Real Name: Deke
MadPick wrote:
Acpguy, I think it's a little too early for you to proclaim victory

The bottom line is this: The dwell time is the time it takes for the bullet to travel from the gas port to the muzzle. Do we all agree on that?


Agreed!

Not proclaiming victory, was simply playing the semantics game. Gas tube length is a factor , because then port location becomes a factor that’s all!!


Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:22 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Lacey
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012
Posts: 680
Real Name: Deke
BadKarma wrote:
Question: If blow back is the amount of gas released into the gas block, gas tube and eventually to the gas key, length of tube or restriction on a variable gas block would affect that function correct? Not change the dwell time?


Correct, affects the function. Time from when the round passes has block to exit of muzzle (dwell time) still the same.


Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:23 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum



Rent Me Pintos NRA SAF CCKRBA
Aldersons e-arms.com


Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software for PTF.
[ Time : 0.632s | 15 Queries | GZIP : On ]