Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:05 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Does your wife carry? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My wife is in the process of getting her CPL. Mostly because if I had my gun on me, put it under the seat for X reason and she drives the vehicle I don't want her to get pinched. I take it off and put it in her purse, or some scenario along those lines. Well I'm also thinking of getting her her own lead slinger to go with the card granting her rights she should already have as per the constitution. She likes my XDs, and her mother's Lady S&W in .38 spl. What do the women in your life carry, or prefer to shoot? I know the best thing is to go to a range and let her sample and find what works best. But having a few in mind might help narrow things down from the start. I would prefer to keep it in 9mm so I'm not having to buy another type of ammo. Trying to simplify the ammo box.

I've thought about getting another XDs and having it coated in a color of her choice. Would save on mags, as I already have a bunch. Plus she liked it and shot pretty well with it.

Just trying to see what others are doing.

Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, you say she shoots it well, but does she load it & rack the slide, or do you do that for her?

It tends to boil down to the slide, and comfort level...

Say, with time, and your help, she can rack the slide, but how about under duress?

She likes the S & W revolver, too, so maybe see what she's comfortable loading, not just shooting.

I've seen situations where the husband really makes their wife's carry gun their (the husband!'s) back-up gun.

That can be a mistake.

The life she saves, may be yours...

Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's my thought on purse carry...no. If I was a bad guy, and was going to attack a women I would just shove from the back grab the purse and boogy. I now have the money, CC's, ID's, and the gun. .02
I believe guns should be kept on the body.

Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:27 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My wife has had her CPL for a couple months now but hasn't carried yet. We bought a S&W 642 performance center with her in mind but now she's hesitant on it and it looks like it's going to be my backup/deep concealment unit (I'm ok with that it's a beautiful little gun!)
I came home one day and she had folded over a page in one of my NRA magazines about the S&W Shield 380 EZ and said she wants to try it. When I was in Fed way discount the other day I fingered one without thumb safety and I must say you can really tell they engineered it for women and those with weak dexterity. Slide is very easy to rack.
We're just going to buy it and see what she thinks. If it's not the one then oh well the collection just got bigger. I would rather she carry at least 9mm but if can get her to carry consistently vs not then .380 is ok with me. So that's my 2¢ as far as trying a new gun. I would prefer she carry the revolver just because I think they're more new user friendly but what do I know.....
Good luck hope you find the gun that suits her!

Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:42 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My wife carries maybe twice a year outside the house. When she does, it's in her purse. I've tried to discourage her from doing it that way, but she does what she wants anyway. The real reason she has her CPL is so I can leave my carry gun with her if and when I need to. She just doesn't seem to be interested in carrying, and I don't press the issue.

Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:45 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

She has no problem loading and racking my XDs or XDM. So that isn't an issue. I also understand what Chuck is saying about purse carry. I too would prefer body carry, but I was giving a scenario situation.

I talked to my wife again this morning and she didn't seem to favor one way vs the other. I just wanted to see what other wives/girlfriends/mistresses used if they carried.

Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:02 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

try the shield, mine likes her's.

Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:12 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wetpaperbag wrote:
My wife is in the process of getting her CPL. Mostly because if I had my gun on me, put it under the seat for X reason and she drives the vehicle I don't want her to get pinched. I take it off and put it in her purse, or some scenario along those lines. Well I'm also thinking of getting her her own lead slinger to go with the card granting her rights she should already have as per the constitution. She likes my XDs, and her mother's Lady S&W in .38 spl. What do the women in your life carry, or prefer to shoot? I know the best thing is to go to a range and let her sample and find what works best. But having a few in mind might help narrow things down from the start. I would prefer to keep it in 9mm so I'm not having to buy another type of ammo. Trying to simplify the ammo box.

I've thought about getting another XDs and having it coated in a color of her choice. Would save on mags, as I already have a bunch. Plus she liked it and shot pretty well with it.

Just trying to see what others are doing.

Great for getting the spousal unit onboard, I got mine involved years ago but she does not CC. She's had her CPL for 12 years & mine for 30+.
We went to the Marksman in Puyallup during the free rental night & shot several different makes & settled on the XDM40. If the XDs models would have been available then, we probably would have chose that model.
I like the fact that mags swap from the full sized & the compact that I EDC. :bigsmile:

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:29 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

my wife carries occasionally, mostly when i'm not around. she loves her glock 26 and says that it fits her hands just right. she's gotten comfortable to it and carries on her body. she likes the new alien gear holster madpick gave us, but not as comfortable using it yet like she has been with the kusiak holster. she doesn't carry extra mags because "the gun is bulky enough and it's tough to carry without showing everyone the gun".
women have difficulty carrying because of what they wear, my wife is no exception. i advise her not to carry in her purse, so much so, that she recites it when i give her crap about it and switches it up.

Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:39 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Last edited by CQBgopher on Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:45 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My carries a grudge whenever I screw up.

Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sp101-357 or a TZ75 (cz 9mm clone)

If your wife cant rack a slide, then you got a wussy wife.

Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:14 pm

I tried getting my wife to have a carry piece for a long time. She had a full size M&P 9mm from the get-go but didn't and couldn't CC that at all. My wife did not like Glocks, I tried to get her into a 19 and a 26.... go figure. But, when the Shield 9mm first came out I ran out and got her one. She loves it, and it goes everywhere she does.

Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Women are naturally more prone to violent attack due to the nature of violent rapes, abductions, and the pure fact they are generally weaker, and they typically carry their wallets in an easily "snatchable" purse. Yet, they seem less inclined to take any proactive measures to protect themselves - martial arts, observation skills, guns, etc. It's a weird dichotomy - the most vulnerable are the least interested in self defense.

On body carry is not hard, even for a woman. If your female in your life struggles, get her one of these or rather, point her in this direction, for tight fitting on body undergarments. Easy to conceal 1.5 pound single stack handgun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_GJlFEXOcw

https://deneadams.com/

Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You are definitely single ...

Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next