It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:54 am


Rules Brads Guns Rainier Arms McCallen Killer Innovations Fessleman Firearms
WGO Chat Room Rehv Arms Vantage Reloading
Gear Fortis WCA 2A Ind. Pintos WAC
Calendar




Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 INSTANT POT Thread 
Author Message
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: South Seattle
Joined: Thu May 2, 2013
Posts: 5815
Real Name: Steve
I may have an extra Instant Pot to sell, if anyone's interested....just putting it out there...if any interest, I'll post an ad...


Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:20 pm
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar
Site Admin

Location: Renton, WA
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011
Posts: 38583
Real Name: Steve
NWGunner wrote:
I may have an extra Instant Pot to sell, if anyone's interested....just putting it out there...if any interest, I'll post an ad...


C’mon now, you already know the answer to that. Yes, people are interested but it depends on the price. So just post it up!

_________________
Steve

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.


Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:14 am
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: South Seattle
Joined: Thu May 2, 2013
Posts: 5815
Real Name: Steve
MadPick wrote:
NWGunner wrote:
I may have an extra Instant Pot to sell, if anyone's interested....just putting it out there...if any interest, I'll post an ad...


C’mon now, you already know the answer to that. Yes, people are interested but it depends on the price. So just post it up!


Roger that, it's a good deal for someone, here you go:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=102091&p=1013979#p1013979


Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:15 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: kirkland
Joined: Wed May 1, 2013
Posts: 10617
Real Name: jim
Sorry, I'm just not diggin' on this or suis vide.

With suis vide, you cook in plastic seal-a-meals. I have a sneaky suspicion that years from now this will be regarded as some kind of health hazard. At best, despite being a hit, I'm sure, with the trendy hipsters (eco warriors all) this represents a fair amount of plastic waste. (I'm sorry, does this have anything to do with the huge garbage gyre in the middle of the ocean or an yet another use of fossil fuels to manufacture?)

With this instant pot and with suis vide your food comes out colorless and must be finished up on the stove or grill or in the oven. So, what's the point? Just another appliance to buy, clean and store... and you still get to clean up all of the usual pans used in the finish.

But you certainly can be regarded as the trendiest chef with the latest gadgets. I'll pass.

_________________
"The said constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

"I love Girl Scout Crack!" ~ usrifle

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli


Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:30 am
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Duvall
Joined: Sun Jan 6, 2013
Posts: 18132
Real Name: Paco X
jukk0u wrote:
Sorry, I'm just not diggin' on this or suis vide.

With suis vide, you cook in plastic seal-a-meals. I have a sneaky suspicion that years from now this will be regarded as some kind of health hazard. At best, despite being a hit, I'm sure, with the trendy hipsters (eco warriors all) this represents a fair amount of plastic waste. (I'm sorry, does this have anything to do with the huge garbage gyre in the middle of the ocean or an yet another use of fossil fuels to manufacture?)

With this instant pot and with suis vide your food comes out colorless and must be finished up on the stove or grill or in the oven. So, what's the point? Just another appliance to buy, clean and store... and you still get to clean up all of the usual pans used in the finish.

But you certainly can be regarded as the trendiest chef with the latest gadgets. I'll pass.


Like most things you are right and wrong.

_________________
“Individual liberty and freedom are not outmoded concepts”
I am a gun owner. I am stereotyped.


Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:54 am
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar
Site Admin

Location: Renton, WA
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011
Posts: 38583
Real Name: Steve
Jim, I've cooked quite a lot with the Instant Pot now, and my last recipe was the only one that has required any cooking outside of the IP; it called for some browned bread crumb topping, so I made that in the oven and then sprinkled it over the food that I made in the IP.

I guess it depends what type of food you're cooking. I've been making primarily soups, stew, curries, etc. -- wet stuff, basically. That stuff cooks well in the IP, and I love that type of food.

I have no regrets about getting the IP. Yeah, I still think that you can do all the same stuff on the stove top with a regular pot, but it sure is easy, fast and fun with the IP.

As for sous vide . . . I have no experience there, but what I've seen and heard hasn't motivated me to try it out.

_________________
Steve

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.


Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:59 am
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: South Seattle
Joined: Thu May 2, 2013
Posts: 5815
Real Name: Steve
jukk-

The Instant Pot isn't so much as new, just unique in its combination of functions.

People who were 'afraid' of pressure cookers, gave it a chance due to it's new name, and simplicity.

So, it's a pressure cooker that doesn't need to be monitored, since it's not a stove top item; it's a stand alone, with a keep warm feature...so you can set it & leave it alone. In today's environment, people are re-embracing the speed things can be cooked & ready for dinner.

Also, things aren't necessarily drab as you say; it actually can sauté, so, you can put whatever meat or veggies in, and brown them first, then switch it to pressure cooking or crock pot....

On top of that, it has other functions, rice cooker, steamer, etc., ...

So, in theory, you could get rid of those other things, & just have one device.

My wife loves it for making hard boiled eggs (yuck!)....1 cup of water, 12 eggs, 5 mins no monitoring, ice bath, done!

Comes out perfectly, and the pressure makes them very easy to peel.

Also does great with steel cut oats, grains, and beans.

Saving time & no need for monitoring is a huge part of it.

Forgot to thaw something for dinner? Frozen chicken breasts cooked in 10 minutes (add a few for the pressure to build, but still)...

It's also great for making stocks in under an hour, hands free, instead of hours on the stove.

Obviously no one is going to convince you, just thought I'd share some of the appeal, at least for us.

I swore I'd never get one, 'cause I was sick of the hype...now I'm glad we did :ROFLMAO:


Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:08 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: kirkland
Joined: Wed May 1, 2013
Posts: 10617
Real Name: jim
NWGunner wrote:
jukk-

The Instant Pot isn't so much as new, just unique in its combination of functions.

People who were 'afraid' of pressure cookers, gave it a chance due to it's new name, and simplicity.

So, it's a pressure cooker that doesn't need to be monitored, since it's not a stove top item; it's a stand alone, with a keep warm feature...so you can set it & leave it alone. In today's environment, people are re-embracing the speed things can be cooked & ready for dinner.

Also, things aren't necessarily drab as you say; it actually can sauté, so, you can put whatever meat or veggies in, and brown them first, then switch it to pressure cooking or crock pot....

On top of that, it has other functions, rice cooker, steamer, etc., ...

So, in theory, you could get rid of those other things, & just have one device.

My wife loves it for making hard boiled eggs (yuck!)....1 cup of water, 12 eggs, 5 mins no monitoring, ice bath, done!

Comes out perfectly, and the pressure makes them very easy to peel.

Also does great with steel cut oats, grains, and beans.

Saving time & no need for monitoring is a huge part of it.

Forgot to thaw something for dinner? Frozen chicken breasts cooked in 10 minutes (add a few for the pressure to build, but still)...

It's also great for making stocks in under an hour, hands free, instead of hours on the stove.

Obviously no one is going to convince you, just thought I'd share some of the appeal, at least for us.

I swore I'd never get one, 'cause I was sick of the hype...now I'm glad we did :ROFLMAO:


okay. I can see all of that. Didn't know you could sautee` in one.

_________________
"The said constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

"I love Girl Scout Crack!" ~ usrifle

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli


Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:12 pm
Profile
User avatar

Location: Bothell
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015
Posts: 1053
jukk0u wrote:
Sorry, I'm just not diggin' on this or suis vide.

But you certainly can be regarded as the trendiest chef with the latest gadgets. I'll pass.


I'm with you on this one... they 'seem' nice, but they are still just another gadget. Sis gave me her 2 qt slow cooker about 3 years ago and that thing changed my life --- sloppy joes, spaghetti sauce, ham and beans, the list goes on...... set and forget for the most part, no fear of burning like it would in a pot on the stove. The people that seem to like the instapots are the ones who want to 'throw it in and walk away for x hours' .... and its not even hours --- cook it quickly??? Thats not 'cooking' there... just 'make it happen'. Food turns out so much better when you give it forethought and tend to it. If I saw something that it could do for me that I can't with a $30 slow cooker and cared about, I'd be more interested.

I don't like getting more (pricey) gadgets that I need to figure out where to store - especially big ones. I've got an electric skillet that gets used more in the garage than the kitchen and a belgian waffle maker that I make hashbrowns in occasionally. Even the electric hand blender that seemed invaluable months ago rarely gets used.... in less I make an effort.

_________________
Plan B is actually repeating Plan A.... it just involves much more alcohol.

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?


Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:31 pm
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar
Site Admin

Location: Renton, WA
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011
Posts: 38583
Real Name: Steve
You know that little plastic cup on the back of the Instant Pot, that catches drips and such?

Good news: I don't get many drips in there.

Bad news: I probably don't clean it enough.

Spoiler: show
Image

He was very much alive, and there's a web at the bottom that you can't really see in the pic.

He is now a resident of my back yard . . . .

_________________
Steve

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.


Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:10 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: South Seattle
Joined: Thu May 2, 2013
Posts: 5815
Real Name: Steve
:ROFLMAO:

Interesting, your's is clear. Ours is kind of milky white, like a cup you get for rice....

Okay, I guess that's not really interesting.... icon_eek


Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:10 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: NE WA
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011
Posts: 3981
Real Name: The Dude
We just got one and started with tikka masala.

It won't replace anything, since we learned with this very first dish we can't ditch the rice cooker.

But between it and the air fryer, fast and tasty meals are a lot easier.

_________________
"Wherever you go, there you are."


Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:24 pm
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar
Site Admin

Location: Renton, WA
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011
Posts: 38583
Real Name: Steve
Pablo wrote:
My Instant Pot Chicken Curry -

First of all real curry types take all day, toasting spices and all. But you should do it real a few times. The taste is incredible. My method comes fairly close but from start to serving, maybe under 45 minutes to an hour. My goal is to eliminate tasteless instipot food - and get away from that boiled steamed effect. Veggies and meat have enough liquid, don't dilute. Oil for flavor and body.

Add NO water based liquids to this recipe

Put a little oil in the pot, enough to just cover the bottom surface. Use ghee if you have it.
Throw a small hunk of butter in if not using ghee
VERY RAPIDLY:
Chop up large yellow onion
Smash up/chop 3-4 garlic cloves
Grate a decent amount of fresh juicy ginger - a tablespoon+
Cut up a red bell pepper (no seeds)
Cut up a couple hot peppers of your choice to taste (no seeds)
Throw this on top of the oil.
Sprinkle a little salt on top

8-10 boneless chicken thighs
Coat the thighs thoroughly with an equal mixture of
good curry powder
good garam masala
ground cardamom
ground coriander
throw a few dashes of turmeric and ground hot red pepper to taste

Quickly throw this on top of the veggie mix in the pot, sprinkle with a just little more salt
Put a couple four fat pats of butter or pour a little ghee on top

Add NO OTHER LIQUID

Close lid and cook ten (10) minutes high pressure then natural release.

You will be amazed how much juice will be in the pot. Then take the chicken out, put the pot on SAUTE with lid off. The remaining juice will boil. Stir and allow to thicken as it reduces, you can thicken with a starch but this is not traditional.

Pour sauce back on chicken.

Not as good as the real stuff but if you have good knife skills and have the ingredients, very fast and pretty darn tasty. A couple things - if you can put the spices on the chicken the day before, really helps with flavor depth. For sure the day after cooking it is really good and curry like. You can tune the spices so easily. Just don't add any liquid, help fight tasteless InstantPot food!


Thank you again, Pablo. Thought I'd circle 'round to this one again, and now I have six meals ready to go:

Image

I was a little less worried about, well, "precision" this time. I shook unknown amounts of various spices on top of the chicken . . . yeah, I got the garam masala and curry powder and turmeric in there, but threw in a few others too, like cumin and smoked paprika. Because what the hell. And I threw cilantro on top, and rice on the bottom.

I just licked the spoon and it was good . . . haven't given it an honest-to-goodness taste yet, but I will tomorrow and I anticipate good things!

_________________
Steve

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.


Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:23 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: South Seattle
Joined: Thu May 2, 2013
Posts: 5815
Real Name: Steve
Nice !

We do stuff like that all the ime, & wifey has lunches for the week...


Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:36 pm
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar
Site Admin

Location: Renton, WA
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011
Posts: 38583
Real Name: Steve
I took the plunge and tried ribs in the Instant Pot today.

I bought a rack of pre-rubbed St. Louis style ribs at Safeway. I put 8 oz. of apple juice, maybe 1/3 of a cup of apple cider vinegar, and a teaspoon-ish of liquid smoke in the IP, then put the ribs in there on top of the trivet. 35 minutes at high pressure followed by about 25 minutes of natural release, and this is what I had:

Image

I brushed some Sweet Baby Ray's on it and put it on the oven on broil for a few minutes, and had this:

Image

So how were they? Pretty good. My gf liked them better than any of the ribs that I've done in the pellet smoker, but I think that's mostly because these were truly fall-off-the-bone and my smoked ribs have never been that.

Ribs still seem a little fatty and messy to me, so I have trouble saying "omg I loved them" . . . but they were good.

_________________
Steve

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.


Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:54 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum



Rent Me Pintos NRA SAF CCKRBA
Aldersons e-arms.com


Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software for PTF.
[ Time : 0.744s | 17 Queries | GZIP : On ]