Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:40 pm

Rules Brads Guns Rainier Arms I5 Guns & Ammo Killer Innovations Fessleman Firearms
WGO Chat Room Rehv Arms Vantage Reloading
Gear Fortis WCA 2A Ind. Pintos WAC
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 New Scam: "Brushing" 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/amazon-bru ... dnt-order/

"The scam is known as "brushing." An online seller – usually overseas – purchases their own products through fake buyer accounts they've created. The products are shipped to a real address. Then, the seller writes a positive review of their items from the fake buyer account. "

Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:32 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Pfffft. That’s been happening since eBay started.

Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:33 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've sold stuff on Ebay in the past but I've learned of enough scams that I no longer sell there.

A good friend was a victim. She sold something remarkably valuable (and fragile I believe). The buyer claims it was broken when arrived and got a total refund. My friend was out the cash and the item, and fully believes she was scammed by someone who had a broken identical item and ordered a new one and pulled the scam.

So here's how it would go. Say you have a $1000 rifle scope and break the glass. You find the same model on Ebay and buy it, and then claim it was broken when arrived, and get a full replacement and refund for the one you bought. Seller got screwed out of the item.

I won't do Ebay any more for anything like that.

Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:05 pm

leadcounsel wrote:
I've sold stuff on Ebay in the past but I've learned of enough scams that I no longer sell there.

A good friend was a victim. She sold something remarkably valuable (and fragile I believe). The buyer claims it was broken when arrived and got a total refund. My friend was out the cash and the item, and fully believes she was scammed by someone who had a broken identical item and ordered a new one and pulled the scam.

So here's how it would go. Say you have a $1000 rifle scope and break the glass. You find the same model on Ebay and buy it, and then claim it was broken when arrived, and get a full replacement and refund for the one you bought. Seller got screwed out of the item.

I won't do Ebay any more for anything like that.

Sadly people will do that on all sorts of platforms. Even amazon. But yes ebay is the riskiest by far for stuff like that. But people do it quite frequently on Amazon as well. Car parts have been a issue recently. Have a dead alternator or waterpump or whatever? Order a new one, install new one, take your used one and clean it up, claim it either came "used" or didnt work and return it.

What I dislike is the people who will order tools, use them for the one job they need, then return them so the next person ends up with a used item.

For Amazon reviews you can go to fakespot.com and enter the url. Its not perfect by any means but it works decently for items that seem to be cheap, new seller, and have all great reviews.

And like most things the news covers....welcome to 5+ years ago :)

Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i thought you were talking about our resident dentist and his scam.

A: Sell it to Scott.

Spoiler: show
BadKarma wrote:
I just went out and killed a bunny rabbit and shoved his skin into my ears so I will never have to listen to this again.

jdigitty wrote:
Thanks everyone. Panama canal interesting, I'll MapQuest it.

cmica wrote:
dick burgers are good.

Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dj_fatstyles wrote:
i thought you were talking about our resident dentist and his scam.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
Pfffft. That’s been happening since eBay started.

Apparently Feb 9 according to the article date. :rofl9: :bigsmile:

Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:05 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]