Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:44 pm


Rules Brads Guns Rainier Arms McCallen Killer Innovations Fessleman Firearms
WGO Chat Room Rehv Arms Vantage Reloading
Gear Fortis WCA 2A Ind. Pintos WAC
Calendar




Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Defense plan from the drivers seat of your vehicle? 
Author Message
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Everett
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013
Posts: 3373
Real Name: Ron
.
Yes I've thought about it. This video reminded me of the importance of it. Do you have a plan?



I haven't actually done any live shooting from inside my car but I have been trained and understand the vulnerabilities of being assaulted while sitting in the drivers seat. So for that reason I have planned for my defense from that location and the defense of any family or passengers that may be riding with me.

Without fail, I always remove my conceal carry firearm from my person prior to getting in the drivers seat of my vehicle. I place the unholstered pistol in a predetermined location on the under side of my steering column. I do this for two reasons.

1. It is uncomfortable for me to conceal carry when I'm driving and I haven't found a way to alleviate that discomfort and keep the firearm easily accessible.
2. I have effectively made my pistol as quick and easy to access from the drivers position as the headlight control knob or radio tuner in the vehicle.

When I had determined that I could not comfortably conceal carry while in the driving position, I toiled for months on where to strategically locate my pistol in the car when I'm driving. Many trials and fails finally led me to keeping it safely and firmly located under my steering column, held there by a commercially available magnet designed for the task. I can actually access my pistol quicker from this location while in my car than I can draw it from my on body conceal carry when I'm not in my car.

I drive a 2019 Ford Mustang and interior space is at a premium so it was difficult to find a location for my Sig P365 that I could access easily with my right hand (strong hand but I do shoot lefty too). I keep two extra 12 round mags in my console where they are not as easy to access as the pistol but I know where they are if I need them. Though the pistol leaves with me whenever I exit the car, the extra mags in the console stay put and are dedicated solely to remaining in the car fully loaded.


Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:40 am
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Elma
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013
Posts: 1683
Real Name: Jim Sr.
Back when the logging roads were open and one could travel to out-of-the-way areas to train I used to do this quite frequently.
When I did the final clean out of the Ranger pickup a few years ago for the sale I found a dozen or so 9 mm casings...
On occasion I do practice drawing from behind the wheel but not firing. I feel confident in my abilities, just hope to never have to use them....

_________________
[b]GET OFF MY LAWN!!![/b]

If you are free to be a freedom hating progressive Liberal scuzbucket - Thank a man with a gun!!!

"You are either with us...as Americans. Or, You are against us. There is no IN BETWEEN." ???

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin


Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:45 am
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: central wa
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011
Posts: 3177
In addition, i practice driving left-hand-only, and drawing/presenting without sweeping any part of my body.i also carry a dumb cellphone that stays in the vehicle, charged. any cellphone, *even without a SIM card* will dial 911.
I have practiced firing through the windshield from inside (spidering glass will make follow ups difficult to aim), and firing through driver's side door from inside, but not without earpro. Statistically, one or more of the following condition s are likely in any exchange of pistol fire in the U.S.:
1. less than ideal light
2. in or around a vehicle
3. one handed grip
Train accordingly.


Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:02 am
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Tacoma, WA
Joined: Sun Sep 7, 2014
Posts: 6123
I often keep my CCW on my person and put a full sized 17 rd capacity dedicated pistol within reach. Generally a nice heavy old SW Gen 3 9mm to soak up recoil for 1 handed shots. I can slip one really snugly between the passenger seat and console. I can draw and fire in probably 1 second. And if I had to bail out of the car, say I'm carjacked, I'm still armed (versus if you took off your CCW and put it in the car and then had to bail). And not constantly putting on and taking off my gun.

I went to a 1 week tactical driving and shooting school about a decade ago. Learned a lot. Pitting. Cover/concealment. Shooting thru cars and windows. Shooting on the move. Rollovers. Off road. Convoy operations. Etc.


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

_________________
I defend the 2A. US Army Combat Veteran and Paratrooper: OIF Veteran. BSM and MSM recipient. NRA Lifetime. Entertainment purposes only. I'm a lawyer, but have not offered you legal advice.


Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:59 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: kirkland
Joined: Wed May 1, 2013
Posts: 9658
Real Name: jim
old11bravo wrote:
.
... Though the pistol leaves with me whenever I exit the car, the extra mags in the console stay put and are dedicated solely to remaining in the car fully loaded.


Do you park in a garage? Do you feel the transitions from heat to cold that a car environment often undergoes diminishes the reliability of your ammo? Do you cycle that ammo because of this?


Do you have knee airbags?


In a recent retelling of a story about following a hit-n-run driver while waiting for LE to respond, you mentioned exiting the vehicle when the other driver got out of his. THAT is good advice if retreat (with the vehicle) is not an option.

_________________
"The said constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

"I love Girl Scout Crack!" ~ usrifle

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli


Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:36 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Everett
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013
Posts: 3373
Real Name: Ron
leadcounsel wrote:
I often keep my CCW on my person and put a full sized 17 rd capacity dedicated pistol within reach. Generally a nice heavy old SW Gen 3 9mm to soak up recoil for 1 handed shots. I can slip one really snugly between the passenger seat and console. I can draw and fire in probably 1 second. And if I had to bail out of the car, say I'm carjacked, I'm still armed (versus if you took off your CCW and put it in the car and then had to bail). And not constantly putting on and taking off my gun.

Do you keep the SW Gen 3 9mm in the vehicle full time or do you remove it from between the passenger seat and console and place it next to your person in addition to your on body CC firearm when you have the car parked? Say like you're out running errands.

jukk0u wrote:
old11bravo wrote:
.
... Though the pistol leaves with me whenever I exit the car, the extra mags in the console stay put and are dedicated solely to remaining in the car fully loaded.


Do you park in a garage? Do you feel the transitions from heat to cold that a car environment often undergoes diminishes the reliability of your ammo? Do you cycle that ammo because of this?


Yes, I park in a garage and no, I don't feel the ammo suffers any degradation due to temperature or climate changes before it is cycled out on the same schedule as any other SD ammo that I have.


jukk0u wrote:
Do you have knee airbags?


Yes, I do have the airbags. Having airbags certainly did have to be taken into consideration when mounting the magnet that holds the gun. The location on the underside of my steering column where I placed the magnet is void of any wires, airbag or other complicating factors. A quick sweep of my right hand retrieves the pistol quicker than you can say lickety split. Also, my steering column is adjustable for vertical direction so the gun remains attached to the steering column even if adjusting it. I'll show you again next time I see you.

jukk0u wrote:
In a recent retelling of a story about following a hit-n-run driver while waiting for LE to respond, you mentioned exiting the vehicle when the other driver got out of his. THAT is good advice if retreat (with the vehicle) is not an option.

Absolute true story there podner! I followed that chap for about 3-4 miles at speeds above the posted limit. I was not expecting him to stop at that point. When he did pull over on the desolate, dark, rural country road between Monroe and Snohomish just after the midnight hour, I was hyper aware in anticipation and anxiety over what would come next. I was content to wait in my vehicle until the responding Sheriffs arrived and did just that for about the first 30 seconds after he/we pulled over. I did not exit my vehicle until I observed the hit and run driver exit his vehicle parked about three car lengths in front of me. Again, I was hyper aware with the tingly's on the back of my neck going rapid fire by this time and I knew I did not want him approaching my vehicle while I was confined to the drivers seat. I immediately exited my vehicle almost simultaneously with him once I knew he was getting out and in the same motion I had my SIG P365 in my right hand as I unlatched my car door with my left hand. Keeping my pistol low as I exited the vehicle, I tucked it into my pocket without him being any the wiser about the disposition of my defenses. At this point he began approaching me. I did not observe any weapons in his hand (or malicious behavior on his part) as I maneuvered to meet him half way. Spidey senses still going as we closed the gap I had sized him up enough to determine that I could probably hold my own with this character if we were to engage in a physical altercation and I removed my hand from the pistol resting in my right pocket. When we were close enough to exchange pleasantries it was immediately obvious to me that this gentleman had been drinking. We exchanged small talk for about three minutes before the Snohomish County Sheriffs finally arrived en masse. Mind you the 911 operator was still on the line but my cell phone was connected via blue tooth to my car stereo still so I didn't even realize she was still there until I got back into my car. She could hear us but I couldn't hear her.

Anyway, long story short (thanks for bringing up the grand memories Jim), NEVER stay behind the wheel or inside your car if you sense that someone could be seeking to do you harm. Exit your vehicle if driving away is not an option. I don't have the source off hand or an article to quote but we've been taught that statistically speaking, you are much more likely to survive an assault outside your vehicle than you are if you're assaulted while inside of your vehicle.


Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:26 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Tacoma, WA
Joined: Sun Sep 7, 2014
Posts: 6123
Quote:
Do you keep the SW Gen 3 9mm in the vehicle full time or do you remove it from between the passenger seat and console and place it next to your person in addition to your on body CC firearm when you have the car parked? Say like you're out running errands.


I don't keep a dedicated car gun in the car. Gun either goes with me, or is locked securely if I briefly have to leave the car. But having once been victim of a car breakin and theft of guns, long ago, I no longer see leaving a gun in the car as wise or safe; too prone to thievery.

_________________
I defend the 2A. US Army Combat Veteran and Paratrooper: OIF Veteran. BSM and MSM recipient. NRA Lifetime. Entertainment purposes only. I'm a lawyer, but have not offered you legal advice.


Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:27 am
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Lawton, OK
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011
Posts: 14521
Real Name: Chuck
My setup:
Image
Image
Image

_________________
"The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
"Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux


Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:15 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Gig Harbor
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011
Posts: 688
Real Name: Nick
leadcounsel wrote:
Quote:
Do you keep the SW Gen 3 9mm in the vehicle full time or do you remove it from between the passenger seat and console and place it next to your person in addition to your on body CC firearm when you have the car parked? Say like you're out running errands.


I don't keep a dedicated car gun in the car. Gun either goes with me, or is locked securely if I briefly have to leave the car. But having once been victim of a car breakin and theft of guns, long ago, I no longer see leaving a gun in the car as wise or safe; too prone to thievery.


Yes. Please don't leave guns in your car continuously, or at all if you can avoid it. Even most locked compartments (glove boxes/consoles) are not all that safe. Last I saw, cars were the #1 place for gun thefts. At the VERY least don't leave it in plain sight. I've seen that done before and it just makes me think "wow, they must really hate that gun."

old11bravo wrote:

Anyway, long story short (thanks for bringing up the grand memories Jim), NEVER stay behind the wheel or inside your car if you sense that someone could be seeking to do you harm. Exit your vehicle if driving away is not an option. I don't have the source off hand or an article to quote but we've been taught that statistically speaking, you are much more likely to survive an assault outside your vehicle than you are if you're assaulted while inside of your vehicle.


Interesting. I would have thought the opposite - though I guess it depends on just what type of assault you're facing. Gun on gun makes sense - but what about another weapon? Baseball bat, knife etc? Seems like you'd be somewhat protected in your vehicle from those sorts of attacks and if they were to hit your vehicle/window then there would be no doubt you were justified in shooting back.

_________________
Armed insurance broker. ObamaCare, life, health, medicare.


Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:41 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Lawton, OK
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011
Posts: 14521
Real Name: Chuck
If I'm inside my car, that IS my primary weapon! 4WD...thump.....thump!

_________________
"The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
"Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux


Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:34 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Everett
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013
Posts: 3373
Real Name: Ron
Kgbsucka wrote:
Interesting. I would have thought the opposite - though I guess it depends on just what type of assault you're facing. Gun on gun makes sense - but what about another weapon? Baseball bat, knife etc? Seems like you'd be somewhat protected in your vehicle from those sorts of attacks and if they were to hit your vehicle/window then there would be no doubt you were justified in shooting back.


I am referring to situations where you are under fire or face the distinct possibility of being shot at.

golddigger14s wrote:
If I'm inside my car, that IS my primary weapon! 4WD...thump.....thump!


Thinking outside the box pays dividends in life threatening situations!! :thumbsup2: :bigsmile:


Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:55 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum



Rent Me Pintos NRA SAF CCKRBA
Aldersons e-arms.com


Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software for PTF.
[ Time : 0.683s | 15 Queries | GZIP : On ]